It is the policy of Sussex County to comply with the Fair Housing Act, as amended, (42 U.S.C. §§ 3601-3619) and the Delaware Fair Housing Act (6 Del. C. Ch. 46), by ensuring that its zoning and land use decisions do not discriminate against persons based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, familial status, sex, creed, marital status, age, or sexual orientation. This policy means that, among other things, the County and all its officials, agents and employees will not discriminate in any aspect of housing based on these protected characteristics, including by:
- making unavailable or denying a dwelling to any person based on a protected characteristic;
- discriminating against any person in the terms, conditions or privileges of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in connection therewith based on a protected characteristic;
- Making, printing, or publishing, or causing to be made, printed, or published any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to a dwelling that indicates any preference, limitation, or discrimination based on a protected characteristic;
- Representing to persons because of a protected characteristic that any dwelling is not available when such dwelling is in fact so available;
- interfering with any person in the exercise or enjoyment of, or on account of his having exercised or enjoyed, or on account of his having aided or encouraged any other person in the exercise or enjoyment of, any right protected by the Fair Housing Act;
- interfering with the funding, development, or construction of any affordable housing units because of a protected characteristic; and
- discriminating on the basis of race or color in any aspect of the administration of its zoning, land use, or building ordinances, policies, practices, requirements, or processes relating to the use, construction, or occupancy of dwellings.
Any person who believes that any of the above policies have been violated by the County may contact:
- Sussex County's Fair Housing Compliance Officer, Brandy Nauman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (302) 855-7777.
- the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at 1-888-799-2085, or
- the U.S. Department of Justice at 1-800-896-7743 or (202) 514-4713.
It is also the policy of Sussex County to ensure that conduct at public hearings regarding land use and zoning adhere to the intentions of the Fair Housing Policy as outlined above. Legal counsel representing County Council, the Board of Adjustment, and the Planning & Zoning Commission will read the following statement prior to the start of all public hearings:
"Sussex County, in its zoning and land use decisions, does not discriminate against persons based on race, color, religion, national origin, disability, familial status, sex, creed, marital status, age, or sexual orientation. Public comments made on the basis of bias and stereotype concerning people within these protected classes will not be taken into consideration by the County in its deliberations."