- Both applicants must appear together when applying for a marriage license. The marriage license may be obtained during the hours 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Sussex County Administrative Building, Room 268, Second floor, 2 The Circle, Georgetown, Delaware
- Each applicant is required to show a valid photo identification. The identification may be a drivers license, a State-issued identification card, a passport or a military identification.
- You must be at least eighteen years of age to apply for a marriage license. If either applicant is under the age of eighteen, they are considered minors. Minors must petition Delaware Family Court for authorization to marry.
- Applicants may not be related to each other.
- Applicants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- No blood test is required.
- If a female applicant is divorced and legally reclaimed her maiden name, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the name change court papers. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by divorce or annulment, we require the last divorce or annulment decree. It must be signed by a Judge and bear a seal indicating that it is the original, true copy or a certified copy. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant has been married and the marriage was terminated by death, we require the original, true copy or a certified copy of the death certificate. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- If either applicant is on probation or parole, they must have written permission to marry from their probation or parole officer.
- If either applicant requires an interpreter, they must provide their own. The interpreter must be at least eighteen years of age.
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days, based on time of application. It must be used in that time period. It is only valid in the State of Delaware. The waiting period is 24 hours (based on time of application) for all applicants.
- Please allow at least 20 minutes for the marriage application process.
This option is for applying for a NEW marriage license. If you need a certified copy of a license for a marriage that has already taken place, see Certified Copies of Records.
Have your credit card and photo I.D. information ready before proceeding with the ordering process. For an online marriage application, all blocks must be filled in before completion. Once it is filled in completely, your online license application will be processed. You will NOT receive anything in the mail regarding this transaction.
Are you currently on Probation or Parole? If yes, you must have the Department of Corrections authorization to apply for a marriage license. Are you in a prohibited degree of relationship or party to a previous civil union or legal domestic partnership? Related in anyway to one another or still married to someone else? If yes, you cannot apply for a marriage license. Please call our office for further information at (302) 853-1717.
You are ordering your marriage license from the Sussex County Marriage Bureau. It must be picked up by BOTH applicants at the Sussex County Marriage Bureau and can be used anywhere in the State of Delaware.
When you pick up your license, you cannot be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The 24 hour waiting period from issuance of license to use of a license still applies when ordering online.
Before completing an on-line order, make sure your information is accurate. Once the order is placed, the information cannot be changed or corrected. If you re-enter Go Certificates after the completion of your order, you will be generating a new order and will be billed accordingly. Please check your entries for accuracy before completing your order. Online orders submitted after 4 pm Friday through 8 am Monday will be processed on Monday.
In addition to your purchase price, your credit card will be charged $14.95 by Go Certificates for processing your order.
All transactions are final and no refunds will be given.