Sussex County uses the 2012 International Residential Code for single-family home construction and the 2012 International Building Code for multi-family and commercial construction projects.
For questions regarding building code inspections, call (302) 858-5500 between the hours of 7:30am - 3:30pm.
Code books can be purchased through the International Code Council at the following links:
Sussex County has adopted a list of exceptions to the IRC, which can be found here.
Other code related matters:
- Regulations and inspections for plumbing are governed by the State of Delaware Division of Public Health. For more information, call (302) 856-5122.
- Regulations and inspections for electrical installations are governed by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office and the State Electrical Board. For more information, call (302) 856-5298 (Fire Marshal's Office) or (302) 744-4500 (Electrical Board).
- Model Energy Code Computer Software for ResCheck Residential & ComCheck Commercial can be ordered from the State of Delaware Energy Office at (302) 739-9072 or can be found online at www.energycodes.gov.
- Building Permit Information
- Manufactured Home Placement Permit Information
- Roll Back Transmittal Form-Farmland Assessment
- Board of Adjustments and Appeals
|Chief Code Official||Andy Wright|
Building Code Department