Sheriff Christopher is a familiar face in the Sussex County Sheriff's Office, having served at one time as Chief Deputy under a previous administration.
Elected in 2010, Sheriff Christopher brings more than 26 years of experience in law enforcement to the office that is charged with serving documents on behalf of the State's courts, conducting sales of property for non-payment of taxes, and foreclosures. Sheriff Christopher is committed to promoting a professional, highly-trained and visible staff throughout Sussex County, and is an advocate for better training and certification of deputies, as well as improved access to online information regarding property sales and foreclosures.
In addition to continuing the Sheriff's primary function as an officer of the courts, Sheriff Christopher intends to implement other initiatives during his tenure. These include the creation of programs aimed at promoting child safety, combating teen-age delinquency, and raising awareness about senior safety and wellness.
A resident of Greenwood, Del., Sheriff Christopher owns a sand-blasting company and provides executive security for VIP clients in the eastern United States. Sheriff Christopher and his wife, Barbi, have two children, Adam and Rachel.
- Caroline County Police Cadet Program - Greensboro Police (1979-1984)
- Caroline County Sheriff's Department - Corrections Division (1985-1986)
- Cambridge Police - Patrol Division (1986-1988)
- Ridgely Police - Patrol Division, K-9, administrative, Chief of Police (1988-1997)
- Maryland Natural Resources Police – Boating Safety Enforcement (1997-2000)
- Easton Police, Denton Police - Community policing programs (1997-2001)
- Sussex County Sheriff's Office - Chief Deputy Sheriff (2000-2007)
- North Caroline County High School, Ridgely, Md.
- Highland View Academy, Hagerstown, Md. (1979-1982)
- Chesapeake Community College, Wor-Wic Community College and Eastern Shore Criminal Justice Academy (1984-1993)
- Multiple police schools and special certifications, including:
- Law Enforcement Executive Development School (FBI)
- Maryland Natural Resources Police Academy
- Montgomery County, Md., Police pursuit driving and supervisors school
- New Jersey State Police Drug Pipeline Training (Highway Interdiction)
- County, Va. Police gang school
Multiple letters of award, certificates of achievements for community policing, including:
- Maryland Governor's Citation for Investigations of Crimes against persons and Property for Community Policing
- Past President Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 2 (Delaware)
- Medal or Merit for service above and beyond duty
- National Sheriffs Association Medal of Merit Award for Achievement of Community Outreach Program Management
- Volunteer Awards for Police Cadet Service
- Cub Scout achievement awards
- Greensboro Police cadet volunteer award