Sussex County Septage Program Waste Hauler Requirements

  1. Fees:
    1. Annual Licensing Fee: $250.00; and
    2. Treatment Charges based on vehicle capacity
      • 4.0 cents per gallon (Monday through Friday)
      • 6.0 cents per gallon (Weekends and holidays)
  2. Licensing Requirements:
    1. A copy of the State of Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) permit or a letter from DNREC which states they will permit hauling to the appropriate treatment plant for discharge;
    2. Proof (certificate of insurance) of commercial general liability insurance, minimum amount, $500,000 combined single limit per occurrence;
    3. Proof (certificate of insurance) of business auto liability insurance, minimum amount, $1,000,000 combined single limit per accident;
    4. Proof (certificate of insurance) of worker's compensation and employer's liability insurance (if applicable) minimum amounts; Delaware coverage, $100,000 for each accident, $100,000 for each employee for disease, $500,000 policy limit for disease; and
    5. A valid copy of the waste hauler's State of Delaware business license.
  3. Only the South Coastal Regional Wastewater Facility will accept septage from the licensed waste haulers.
  4. All wastewater is tested for toxicity prior to discharge.
  5. Accepting waste will be discontinued if the plant operator determines that the treatment process is unstable and accepting additional septic or holding tank waste would further endanger the treatment process.
  6. Septage is defined as: "Liquid and solid materials pumped from a septic tank, cesspool, or holding tank." Industrial wastes and waste from portable toilets will not be accepted.
  7. Discharge Times:
    Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
    Weekends and holidays: 8:00 a.m. to noon *
    *Expanded to 3:00 p.m. in summer.
  8. Septage removed from any property located in Sussex County, Delaware may be discharged at the facility referred to as "South Coastal Regional Wastewater Facilities". Appropriate documentation of wastewater's origin must be provided at time of discharge, such as:
    1. Holding tank permit number;
    2. Hook-up permit number; or
    3. Property owner(s) name and address or tax map and parcel number
  9. Property owners with holding tanks must also obtain a County issued permit.
  10. Sussex County owned wastewater treatment facilities will not accept grease and cooking oils pumped from grease traps or grease interceptors.